twitter updates...

Thursday, April 24, 2008

Who you are is more important than what you do!

in our Lifegroup last night we were talking about Passion, what is our Passion? Who can we serve? I think it is often easier to be more outwardly focused as to what we can do as opposed to looking inside of ourselves (inwardly focused) as to what Jesus can do in us. Growing in Christ takes real commitment! It is not easy! My comment to Susie as we headed home was that I/we need to be focused on my personal realtionship with Him so that the change within is so evident and apparent in my own life that what comes out is simply the overflow of what He is doing in me. If this is the case my passions and my desire to serve will be that much stronger. Then it will not be an effort or a thought process for me but merely a picture of Jesus working through me. Being in Christ (what I am) is more important than doing (what I do), for those that are in Christ will be doing! Then I read the following this morning....


below is copied from Herbert Cooper, pastor of Peoples Church in Oklahoma City...I am often blessed by his thoughts...

"Who you are is more important than what you do!"

"I was in college and a pastor came to speak during our spiritual emphasis week. The pastor told all of us students that being was more important than doing. WOW, that one statement has had a profound impact on my life. It's amazing how one line out of one sermon has stuck with me all of these years. I am a child of God. I am the righteousness of God in Christ Jesus. I am a friend of God. I am a co-heir with Christ. It's a passion of mine to stay focused on who I am more than what I do. If you focus your life on doing instead of being, there is a high probability that you will end up a public success and a private failure. WHO YOU ARE IS MORE IMPORTANT THAN WHAT YOU DO!"

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awesome topic Steve, you are SO right! My father in law, he wasnt a full in your face Christian, he didn't quote scripture all the time, he didn't stop strangers and ask if they were saved, he wasn't spouting great biblical knowledge, but that man just leaked Christ. His actions, the way he treated people, his faith were all amazing. If I can impact just by my actions, if people see me and are moved closer to God by what I do, that would be incredible.